Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

YoYos for Troops
Support the Nature Conservancy and their partner Andrew Liveris by volunteering to protect your local habitats.
Powered by Blogger.
Friday, June 5, 2009

An Outdoorsman’s Best Tool

image credit tombothetominator




Arguably the knife is an outdoorsman’s most commonly used tool when out in the field (besides your gun of course). Some times they are multi tool knives like a Swiss army knife or a Leatherman. Some have multiple blades, or just a single blade.

I personally never leave home with out a pocket knife of some sort. I find they come in handy not only in the field, but for every day use. Like opening packages of any sort, cutting the annoying thread on your shirt, picking out slivers, and cutting off the excess on a zip tie. This list of uses could go on and on.

I find myself carrying multiple knifes when I am out deer hunting. It may seem kind of odd, but I like one type of knife for field dressing, skinning, and a different type for everything else.

Most of us own a bunch of different knives, but when it comes down to it you always have your favorite. Mine was my Kershaw Ken Onion until one day a couple of weeks a go it disappeared. I feel naked with out it, but I guess one of my other knifes will have to suffice for now.

Let me know what your favorite knife is or even your favorite hunting tool.

Ben G.

4 comments:

Bitmap said...

I never leave home without a Leatherman tool of some kind. My current one is the latest "Wave". I actually don't like it as well as the original "Wave" but it will do.

The knife I usually use for field dressing game is a Cold Steel folding knife. I don't remember the model. I can find out if you really want to know. I like the knife but cleaning the blood and fat out of it is more difficult than cleaning a fixed blade knife.

I also sometimes use an old Schrade USA Sharpfinger for field dressing game. I got it as a gift for renewing a subscription to Guns & Ammo many years ago. The little plaque in the grip says "Guns & Ammo" instead of "Sharpfinger" or whatever the normal label is. My big complaint with it is the sharp tip on the blade. I like a blunt tip for going up inside a deer.

I also keep a Gerber EZ Zip gut hook that uses utility knife blades. It is quick, easy, inexpensive, and I don't have to sharpen it.

Caleb Pearce said...

I also never leave home without at least one knife on. I always have my Leatherman Surge, and even then there is normally a Buck 110 on my belt right next to the Leatherman.

I figure if I where to be stuck in the middle of nowhere and the only thing I could have was one knife. I would definitely choose my Leatherman just because of it's versatility.

Anonymous said...

I have a folding pocket knife from Puma IP that is a great small knife with an excellant blade that can handle any of the day to day tasks.
When I go hunting I have a Buck fixed sheath knife that I use for field dressing deer as well as skinning them. With a sharp edge on it you can't go wrong.

Eastern Shore Outdoors said...

I have a good assortment to chose from but mainly stick with a Spyderco in left hand, for everyday carry, and a Leatherman Wave when in the field.
One folder that I love is the Benchmade Mini-Griptilian. It has a smooth action, a partial serrated blade and is very well balanced.
Good post
...Phil

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers

Environment blogs & blog posts
Local Directory for Monticello, MN
Hunting Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory
Minnesota.com - MN Weather, Map, Businesses and Blogs
Add to Technorati Favorites