Support the Nature Conservancy and their partner Andrew Liveris by volunteering to protect your local habitats.
Outdoor Related sites
Powered by Blogger.
Friday, October 30, 2009
11 Tips To help you lure a deer in to shooting range (Part 3 of 3 Tips on how to get a deer this season)
4:06 PM | Posted by Ben G. | Edit Post
IMAGE CREDIT Charles & Clint
Now that you have found the perfect place for your deer stand. These are few things you should do to ensure you get a deer this season.
1. A few nights before you go out hunting it’s not a bad idea to hang your hunting clothes outside for a night or two to air out. (weather permitting of course)
2. The night before or even the morning you go deer hunting it is good to spray all of your clothes even down to you under garments with a scent mask or scent eliminator product. I typically will spray my under clothes the night before so they have time to dry out.
3. Make sure to wake up early and are out to/in your stand well before the sun rises. I usually like to be in stand at least an hour if not a bit more before legal shooting time.
4. If you have to drive to your hunting spot in the morning it makes sense to again spray your hat, boots and coat before you go out in the field. Don’t for get to spray again after lunch.
5. Walk very quietly out to your stand especially if your stand is close to a bedding area.
6. A good thing to do is to hang scent wicks with doe in estrus on them around your stand. For gun hunting any where from 30 to 50 yards form your stand. For bow hunting I would stay more in the 30 yard range. I typically use at least two wicks.
7. Ok do you remember those scraps you found on the ground? This is a great opportunity to spray some dominate buck urine on the existing scrapes. Doing this will piss off the buck that made the scrapes in the fist place and he will want to go investigate to see who is in his territory.
8. After you spray the dominate buck urine on the existing scrapes it is a good idea to make one or two of your own scraps close to the existing ones. The best way to do it is to use a pair of rattling antlers and scuff up the ground, but if you don’t have any your boot will work just fine. Don’t forget to spray these with the dominate buck urine as well.
9. A little trick I like to use is to hang a scent wick up in the tree with me to help mask any scent that I might have missed with my spray.
10. After you get in your stand load your gun ASAP take every thing out of your pockets you can and hang them form the tree or your deer stand so you can grab them easily. Doing this will allow you to be more stealth when getting your range finder, binoculars, deer grunt, or what ever else you may need to use during your hunt.
11. Now you sit and await the sun rise and legal shooting hours. You can blow on your deer call every once and a while to see if you can attract any deer. Make sure you don’t over do it because you don’t want to scare the deer off. How to use a Deer call
If you do all of these things you will signigantly increase your chance of shooting a deer this season or any season in the future.
I would love to hear more tips form you leave me a comment and let me know what has worked for you in the past.
~ Ben G.
10 tips for Picking the Best Place for your stand and setting it up for success
Ten Steps for a successful Whitetail scouting trip.
10 Tips for Deer hunting on Public land
11 Tips How to get Hunting Gear on a Limited Budget
- ► 2010 (44)
- 11 Tips To help you lure a deer in to shooting ran...
- 10 tips for Picking the Best Place for your stand ...
- Ten Steps for a successful Whitetail scouting trip...
- Ben G. Outdoors is proud to announce our Fall 2009...
- Trout Fishing Part 5 (final)
- Links Page
- How to Find Awesome Hunting and Fishing Photos Onl...
- Trout Fishing Part 4
- Trout fishing Part 3
- ▼ October (10)