Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

YoYos for Troops
Support the Nature Conservancy and their partner Andrew Liveris by volunteering to protect your local habitats.
Powered by Blogger.
Friday, October 30, 2009

11 Tips To help you lure a deer in to shooting range (Part 3 of 3 Tips on how to get a deer this season)


IMAGE CREDIT Charles & Clint

Now that you have found the perfect place for your deer stand. These are few things you should do to ensure you get a deer this season.


1. A few nights before you go out hunting it’s not a bad idea to hang your hunting clothes outside for a night or two to air out. (weather permitting of course)

2. The night before or even the morning you go deer hunting it is good to spray all of your clothes even down to you under garments with a scent mask or scent eliminator product. I typically will spray my under clothes the night before so they have time to dry out.


3. Make sure to wake up early and are out to/in your stand well before the sun rises. I usually like to be in stand at least an hour if not a bit more before legal shooting time.


4. If you have to drive to your hunting spot in the morning it makes sense to again spray your hat, boots and coat before you go out in the field. Don’t for get to spray again after lunch.


5. Walk very quietly out to your stand especially if your stand is close to a bedding area.


6. A good thing to do is to hang scent wicks with doe in estrus on them around your stand. For gun hunting any where from 30 to 50 yards form your stand. For bow hunting I would stay more in the 30 yard range. I typically use at least two wicks.


7. Ok do you remember those scraps you found on the ground? This is a great opportunity to spray some dominate buck urine on the existing scrapes. Doing this will piss off the buck that made the scrapes in the fist place and he will want to go investigate to see who is in his territory.


8. After you spray the dominate buck urine on the existing scrapes it is a good idea to make one or two of your own scraps close to the existing ones. The best way to do it is to use a pair of rattling antlers and scuff up the ground, but if you don’t have any your boot will work just fine. Don’t forget to spray these with the dominate buck urine as well.


9. A little trick I like to use is to hang a scent wick up in the tree with me to help mask any scent that I might have missed with my spray.


10. After you get in your stand load your gun ASAP take every thing out of your pockets you can and hang them form the tree or your deer stand so you can grab them easily. Doing this will allow you to be more stealth when getting your range finder, binoculars, deer grunt, or what ever else you may need to use during your hunt.


11. Now you sit and await the sun rise and legal shooting hours. You can blow on your deer call every once and a while to see if you can attract any deer. Make sure you don’t over do it because you don’t want to scare the deer off. How to use a Deer call



If you do all of these things you will signigantly increase your chance of shooting a deer this season or any season in the future.



I would love to hear more tips form you leave me a comment and let me know what has worked for you in the past.


~ Ben G.

Related posts
10 tips for Picking the Best Place for your stand and setting it up for success
Ten Steps for a successful Whitetail scouting trip.
10 Tips for Deer hunting on Public land
11 Tips How to get Hunting Gear on a Limited Budget

7 comments:

Tony said...

Great tips, the part I never liked about deer hunting was sitting in a spot, waiting for the sun to rise...in the cold! For some reason, it never did me any good. I would always do it by the book, then get a deer in the afternoon driving to a new spot or something. Maybe if I hadn't paid the price, I wouldn't have seen them so easily later on..who knows.haha.

Anonymous said...

Good tips for sure. Like Tony said the hardest part is sitting in the dark waiting for sunrise but like him I do it anyway.

Zach J said...

Ben,

I'm not a hunter, but do subscribe to several fishing magazines that include many hunting articles. I don't know how much my opinion matters since I don't hunt, but it seems your blogs contain more useful information on the sport than the tips I have read in print. Nice work.

Ben G. said...

Tony & Rick, I agree the morning in the dark isn't a lot of fun especially when it's realy cold out and your feet are freezing, but it has payed off for me a couple of times.

Zach,

Thanks for the great complement. I try my best to provide the best I can.

Bowninja said...

Nice blog. Followed you here from Twitter. Especially like the "taking the long way home" post. I have always done that. You're never really lost as long as you can get back home "in time. Thank's for sharing.

Unknown said...

Nice and very helpful information by 11 tips i have got from your post. Even your whole blog is full of interesting information which is the great sign of a great blogger. sean rechard

Jerry Gonzalez said...

I love deer hunting. Thank for your tip!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers

Environment blogs & blog posts
Local Directory for Monticello, MN
Hunting Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory
Minnesota.com - MN Weather, Map, Businesses and Blogs
Add to Technorati Favorites